Once we have received a referral we aim to book you into a telephone screening appointment within a week. This appointment will take approximately 30 minutes but maybe slightly longer or shorter dependent on your need. During your screening call the therapist will:
- Discuss what you feel is your main problems
- Complete a depression and anxiety questionnaire
- Discuss different treatment options with you that best suit your needs
- Following your call we will send you one of our Talking Changes Wellbeing booklets. This will give you an introduction to the model the service uses and help you to think about how your thoughts, feelings and behaviours may be impacting upon your mood. The wellbeing pack will be used directly if you go on to receive telephone guided self-help with the service.
Talking Changes uses what’s called a progression model. This means we normally offer the least restrictive and intrusive treatment first. These are the step 2a interventions. However there are times when you may need further help, this can be discussed with your therapist who may recommend more intensive treatment. Following this discussion, you may be stepped up to the next level of treatment e.g. step 2b or step 3 treatments.
Step 2a Treatments
- Psycho-education courses - within the course we will present information about stress, depression and anxiety and some of the helpful things you can do to cope. You are not expected to talk or share personal information with other participants, and each week we provide helpful handouts for you to keep.
- Telephone guided self help - you will receive a wellbeing pack. Following your screening. Your therapist will provide 4 short weekly telephone appointments calls to work on your individual problems in conjunction with the wellbeing pack.
Step 2b Treatment
- Face to face guided self help - this is 6 - 8 sessions where you spend time on a one to one time with a therapist who will guide you through specific self-help exercises and materials.
Step 3 Treatments
Our step 3 treatments are offered on a 1 to 1 basis. The principal aim of this approach is to enable you to become your own therapist by working with your therapist to understand your problems and concerns and develop strategies to overcome them. We offer a variety of step 3 treatments which include:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) - you will received a short number of sessions depending upon your needs, you will spend time on a one to one basis with a therapist understanding what maintains unhelpful thoughts, feelings and behaviours. Once you have increased your understanding and awareness your therapist will work with you to manage your difficulties by changing and challenging the way you think, feel and behave.
- Interpersonal therapy (IPT) up to 16 sessions where you spend time on a one to one time with a therapist. This therapy focuses on your interpersonal relationships with others and how they could be effecting your mood.
- Eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing (EMDR) This is a specific therapy for the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.